- J.D., Columbia University School of Law, 1989; Charles Evans Hughes Fellow; Research and Writing Editor, Human Rights Law Review
- B.A., magna cum laude, Amherst College, 1985
- New York State
- Southern District of
- Eastern District of
- State of California
- Northern District of California
- Selected by New York "Super Lawyers" for Criminal Defense
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell Peer Review
- Selected for Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
Susan Hoffinger is a partner of The Hoffinger Firm, LLP. Her practice focuses on white collar and non-white collar criminal defense and civil litigation, both state and federal, as well as regulatory matters and internal company investigations.
Recent criminal cases include:
- winning acquittal after trial for construction supervisor charged with manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide in deaths of firemen at the Deutsche Bank building
- winning acquittal after trial for individual charged with assault
- representing executive in DOJ antitrust investigation of municipal bond industry
- representing individual charged with conspiracy to commit grand larceny, possession of stolen property and tax fraud in connection with the sale of masterpiece artwork
- representing executives under federal and state investigations for MBE/WBE fraud
- representing attorney charged in a multi-billion dollar federal tax shelter prosecution
- representing companies and executives in sales tax and income tax investigations
- representing individuals under investigation by DOI, DOB and New York County DA's Office in connection with construction accidents and cement mix design testing
- representing controller, CEO and other executives in fraud investigations
- representing investment broker in a securities investigation
- representing executive in money laundering and commercial bribery prosecution
- representing executive in internal company investigation into bid rigging
- representing bank compliance officer in investigation of OFAC and Bank Security Act violations
- representing individuals charged with DWI, forgery, assault, sexual abuse, criminal possession of a weapon, criminal possession of marijuana
Recent civil cases include:
- representing CEOs in contract disputes regarding ownership shares of companies
- representing company sued by underwriters for conversion and negligence
- representing public relations firm in contract disputes and employment matters
- representing principal in real estate partnership suing partners for breach of contract and RICO
- representing executives in employment matters and internal company investigations
Prior Work Experience
Before founding The Hoffinger Firm, LLP, Ms. Hoffinger was a partner of Hoffinger Stern & Ross LLP. Prior to that, she spent 8 years as an Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney's Office, in the Frauds Bureau, Asset Forfeiture Unit and Trial Division.
In the Frauds Bureau, she investigated, prosecuted and tried complex white collar fraud cases, involving crimes including grand larceny, falsifying business records, insurance fraud, money laundering, enterprise corruption, Martin Act and securities violations. In the Asset Forfeiture Unit, she prosecuted and tried asset forfeiture cases involving gambling enterprises, securities fraud, enterprise corruption and other business crimes. In the Trial Division, she prosecuted and tried cases involving crimes including robbery, burglary, theft, gun possession and DWI.
Before joining the New York County District Attorney's Office, Ms. Hoffinger was associated with the firms of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich and Rosati in California and Christy & Viener in New York, practicing general commercial, employment and securities litigation.
Ms. Hoffinger received her J.D. from Columbia University School of Law in 1989, where she was a Charles Evans Hughes Fellow and Research and Writing Editor of the Human Rights Law Review.
Ms. Hoffinger received a B.A., magna cum laude, from Amherst College in 1985.
Bar Admissions, Activities and Honors
Ms. Hoffinger is admitted to the Bar of the State of New York, U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, as well as State of California, and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
She is Chair of the Criminal Advocacy Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, member of the American Bar Association Criminal Justice Section, founding member of the Morgenthau Vance Alumni Group, and member of the faculty for the New York County District Attorney's Office Trial Advocacy Program.
Ms. Hoffinger has been selected as one of the New York's "Super Lawyers" for excellence in criminal defense since 2008. She is also rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubble Peer Review and selected for the Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers.