Susan Hoffinger is a founding partner of The Hoffinger Firm, PLLC. Her practice focuses on white collar and non-white collar criminal defense, civil litigation, both state and federal, as well as regulatory matters and internal company investigations. Ms. Hoffinger previously served as an Assistant District Attorney in New York County for eight years from 1992 to 2000, and has been practicing as a criminal defense attorney for the past 20 years. She has been selected by New York Super Lawyers for excellence in White Collar Criminal Defense annually since 2008 and in 2018 was selected as one of Top 50 Women New York Metro Super Lawyers. Ms. Hoffinger also has an AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell and was selected by the Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers.
Ms. Hoffinger specializes in representing individuals and entities in federal and state investigations and prosecutions involving charges including antitrust violations, money laundering, bribery and anti-kickback, healthcare and insurance fraud, mail and wire fraud, bank fraud, tax fraud, income and sales tax evasion, securities fraud, MBE/WBE fraud, asset forfeiture, scheme to defraud, false business records, larceny, forgery, assault, sexual assault/abuse, aggravated harassment, criminal weapon possession, DWI, manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide. On many occasions, Ms. Hoffinger has persuaded prosecutors not to pursue charges against her clients under investigation. She has also tried numerous cases in state and federal court.
Ms. Hoffinger is also a zealous advocate for college/university students accused of, as well as those who are victims of, sexual misconduct under Title IX.
She also represents individuals and companies litigating a variety of commercial disputes, including breach of contract, fraud, conversion, negligence, RICO, partnership and employment matters, as well represents professionals in licensing matters.
Representative Criminal Matters
- Represented doctor charged by SDNY with violating anti-kickback statute in connection with prescribing fentanyl-based medication, resulting in non-jail sentence
- Negotiated misdemeanor resolution for company charged by Manhattan DA with money laundering, scheme to defraud and falsifying business records in connection with million-dollar loan
- Successfully resolved for company charges by Manhattan DA in connection with investigation of interior construction industry, and oversaw enhanced corporate compliance program
- Represented executive in DOJ antitrust investigation of municipal bond industry, resulting in non-jail sentence
- Won acquittal after trial for construction supervisor charged with manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide in deaths of firemen at the Deutsche Bank building
- Won acquittal after trial for individual charged with assault
- Represented at trial individual charged with conspiracy to commit grand larceny, possession of stolen property and tax fraud in connection with the sale of masterpiece artwork
- Represented at trial attorney charged in a multi-billion-dollar SDNY tax shelter prosecution
- Successfully represented individuals for alleged sexual misconduct, with no criminal charges brought
Representative Civil Matters
- Successfully represented college/university students accused of sexual misconduct under Title IX
- Successfully represented at arbitration law firm partners accusing former partner of fraud and breach of contract, resulting in significant money judgment for clients
- Won dismissal of claims for company sued by underwriters for conversion and negligence
- Successfully represented executives in employment matters and internal company investigations
Ms. Hoffinger was selected as one of the Top 50 Women New York – Metro Super Lawyers for 2018 and featured in the article “The Winning Ticket.” She has been selected annually as one of New York’s Super Lawyers for Excellence in White Collar Criminal Defense since 2008. She is also rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review and Selected by Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers.
Ms. Hoffinger is a member (and former chair) of the Criminal Advocacy Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Women in the Legal Profession White Collar Crime Subcommittee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Women’s White Collar Defense Association, and the American Bar Association Business Law White Collar Committee.
Ms. Hoffinger has also served as Faculty for the New York County District Attorney’s Office Trial Advocacy Program.
Ms. Hoffinger earned her J.D. from Columbia University School of Law in 1989, where she was Research and Writing Editor of the Human Rights Law Review and a Charles Evans Hughes Fellow. She received a B.A., magna cum laude, from Amherst College in 1985.
Before founding The Hoffinger Firm, Ms. Hoffinger was a partner of Hoffinger Stern & Ross LLP. Prior to that, she spent 8 years as an Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney’s Office, in the Frauds Bureau, Asset Forfeiture Unit and Trial Division.
In the Frauds Bureau, she investigated, prosecuted and tried complex white collar fraud cases, involving crimes including grand larceny, falsifying business records, insurance fraud, money laundering, enterprise corruption, Martin Act and securities violations. In the Asset Forfeiture Unit, she prosecuted and tried asset forfeiture cases involving gambling enterprises, securities fraud, enterprise corruption and other business crimes. In the Trial Division, she prosecuted and tried cases involving crimes including robbery, burglary, theft, gun possession and DWI.
Before joining the New York County District Attorney’s Office, Ms. Hoffinger was associated with the firms of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich and Rosati in California and Christy & Viener in New York, practicing general commercial, employment and securities litigation.